Summer is in full swing, and nothing says #weekendvibes quite like a burger on the grill. But basic burgers beware: once you try my recipe for Tex-Mex Burgers, made with Canadian Beef and served on Furlani® Garlic Texas Toast, you may find yourself craving the sizzlin’ southwest flavour all season long!
We start with a thick, juicy Canadian Beef burger patty – kicked up a notch with the addition of fresh jalapeno and chipotle barbecue sauce – then top it with melted, gooey Monterey Jack cheese, freshly smashed avocado and sliced tomatoes. Served on Furlani® Garlic Texas Toast for an extra hit of savoury flavour, this may just become your favourite way to Friday. Serve with your favourite veggies and tortilla chips with salsa on the side.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
1 ripe avocado
Fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1½ lb (750 g) Canadian Lean Ground Beef
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
½ cup (125 mL) chipotle barbecue sauce
4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
8 slices Furlani® Garlic Texas Toast
2 plum tomatoes, sliced
1. Mash avocado with a potato masher or fork in a bowl; stir in a generous squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Combine ground beef, chopped jalapeños and barbecue sauce with a fork (careful not to over-mix). Form into four patties, about ¾ inch (2 cm) thick. Press a dimple into the centre of each patty.
3. Grill patties in a closed preheated barbecue over medium-high heat (400°F/200°C) for 10 to 14 minutes, turning once or more, until digital instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into centre of each patty reads 160°F (71°C). Place slices of Monterey Jack cheese on top; close lid and grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Transfer to a clean plate, cover loosely with foil and set aside.
4. Grill Furlani Garlic Texas Toast for 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until heated through and toasted.
5. Arrange burgers on grilled Garlic Texas Toast slices; top with a generous scoop of smashed avocado and sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Top with another slice of Garlic Texas Toast.
– I’ve used lean ground beef, simply to balance out the fat content from the cheese and smashed avocado. For an even juicier burger, you’re welcome to use medium ground beef! To learn more about ground beef and over 70 cuts of Canadian beef, check out the new Canadian Beef Information Gateway.
– Add finely chopped red onion to the smashed avocado for a flavour and texture boost. My boys are picky about onions, so I omitted this time – next time I’ll add it for sure.
– My family loves a good dose of heat, but if your little ones aren’t fans of fiery flavour, you can reduce the jalapeño to just one, or omit completely.
– Lots of freshly ground pepper on top of the sliced tomatoes is a must. The spicy, peppery notes really do bring out the freshness of the tomato.
I daresay this new recipe has ruined me for basic burgers – I think I’ll be kicking things up a notch all summer long! Here’s to a summer filled with good food and great friends!
Get this recipe, and many more, at cdnbeef.ca/greatonthegrill
This post is sponsored by Canadian Beef. The opinions on this blog, as always, are my own.
Leave a Reply