Note: The following giveaway is open to Canadians only.
Don’t call it a toaster oven.
When I say the Breville Smart Oven Air is the only countertop oven you’ll need, I’m not trying to convince you of anything; I’m just trying to change your life.
Live in a condo or dorm? Have a cottage or vacation rental? Want a countertop oven that does more than just bake and reheat? Maybe you’re looking for the perfect Mother’s Day gift. Well, what if I told you that the Smart Oven Air can AIR FRY foods – using little or no added fat – until they’re CRISPY on the outside and tender on the inside?
Until I made these Malaysian Barbecue Chicken Wings, I wouldn’t have believed it myself. But now that I’ve used the Breville Smart Oven Air, I’m not just a believer – I’m a diehard fan.
Here’s why you’ll love it too.
The Smart Oven Air with Element IQ and world’s first Super Convection technology is the only countertop oven that is versatile enough to replace several small appliances in your home. With Element IQ, the oven’s six independent quartz heating elements move the power where and when it’s needed most, above and below the food. Each element adjusts automatically for the setting you choose to deliver the precise and stable cooking temperature at the right time, ensuring the precise cooking process for the meal you are creating.
This updated version is larger than the Breville Smart Oven Pro, and two oven racks create twin tiers of cooking space – double that of its predecessor. Plus, the oven comes with plenty of bells and whistles: a 13″ nonstick pizza pan, two heavy-duty oven racks, a broil rack, enamel baking pan and an air-fry/ dehydrate basket.
However, I promised you seven reasons, and I don’t aim to disappoint!
1. Cook with Convection. Short on time? Who isn’t! The Smart Oven Air is the world’s first counter-top oven with super convection which reduces cooking time by 30%. Super Convection moves a greater volume of air to ensure fast and even baking, roasting, air-frying, and dehydrating. The 2 speed fan (regular and Super) allows for more cooking control, too.
2. Space-saving Design. The large, 1 cubic-foot interior makes room for toasting 9 slices of bread, roasting a 14-lb. turkey or cooking with a 5-qt. Dutch oven, 12-cup muffin tray, or 13″ x 9″ pan – yet, the entire unit is no larger than today’s deluxe toaster ovens. (But we’re not calling it a toaster oven!) With the Smart Oven Air, you can effectively replace the requirement for a conventional oven, making it perfect for dorm rooms, cottages and basement apartments.
3. Slow Cook. Did I mention it’s a slow cooker, too? The Smart Oven Air maintains low and stable heat (80 degrees F – 480 degrees F) to tenderize and develop complex flavours up to 72 hours on low. That’s right, 72 hours! Find that secret family recipe for slow cooked ribs and get ready to be culinary hero.
4. Dehydrate. Come on, I know you’re tired of paying a premium for dried fruit and meats – not to mention all the preservatives they add to keep them shelf-stable. Using Super Convection, the dehydrate function evenly dries out foods at low temperatures without cooking or overheating.
5. Proof. Have a baker in the family? You will now! The Smart Oven Air proof mode provides an extremely low and stable temperature down to 80F, creating the perfect environment for fermentation to take place.
6. Roast. I know that countertop ovens aren’t traditionally used for roasting, but this is not your traditional countertop oven. The Smart Oven air delivers optimized heat with regular convection balance. The first thing we made in our oven was a small, whole chicken. The result? Golden, crispy skin and juicy, tender meat inside.
7. Air Fry. Don’t look at me like that. I know what you’re thinking: Air fried foods don’t taste like fried foods. I don’t necessarily disagree, but it’s all about balance, right? Sometimes, we have to settle for a healthier version of our favourite fatty foods, simply because we want to stick around for a few more years.
Folks, with the Breville Smart Oven Air, there is no compromise. I made the BEST chicken wings and they were just as crispy as deep-fried! Granted, chicken wings themselves aren’t the healthiest choice, so reducing the extra fat in the cooking process is a HUGE win.
There are simple instructions for using the Air Fry function and it only took a few moments to set up our Smart Oven Air. Inside the oven, the wings popped and sizzled just as they would in a deep fryer – except they were simply laid out on a baking sheet without a drop of added fat. The recipe I used was an easy one I found for Malaysian Barbecue Chicken Wings – we’ve used this recipe many times in the past for deep fried wings, so we had an authentic baseline for comparison.
Thanks to the Super Convection setting, they were done in just 20 minutes at 400 degrees F – I didn’t even have to turn them halfway through cooking, though I certainly could have for a more evenly crispy result.
The result? Crispy, sticky, melt-in-your-mouth chicken wings that the whole family loved. There was absolutely no way to tell they were air fried; in fact, my 7-year old, who turns his nose at baked chicken wings due to their subpar texture (he’s definitely a foodie) gobbled up his share – and my share, too!
Love what you see? The Breville Smart Oven Air retails for $599.95 and can be purchased at your favourite retailer of Breville small appliances. (Hint: It makes the PERFECT Mother’s Day gift!) While I listed my go-to features above, the oven actually has 13 pre-programmed settings: toast 9 slices, toast bagel, broil, bake, roast, warm, heat pizza, proof, air fry, reheat, bake cookies, slow cook and dehydrate. Worth every penny? And then some.
Courtesy of Breville Canada, one lucky reader will WIN a Breville Smart Oven Air! To enter, simply fill the contest form with your qualifying entries. Good luck!
This post is sponsored by Breville Canada. The opinions on this blog, as always, are my own.