NOTE: The following giveaway is open to Canadians only.
Happy New Year! It’s the very first day of a brand new year, and as I look outside at the winter wonderland before me, I couldn’t be more excited! Snow! Beautiful snow.
Canadians are mostly familiar with the popular winter attractions and activities. After all, our nation is a well-known destination for winter travel; from skating on Ottawa’s Rideau Canal to hitting the slopes at Mont Tremblant, our country is rich with opportunities for outdoor fun.
However, beyond these well-known destinations are a number of places just waiting to be discovered. Celebrate the spirit of winter in Canada and explore your own backyard by planning a trip to one of these soon-to-be favourite hidden winter gems. Plus, read on for your chance to win 50,000 IHG Rewards Club Points! That’s enough for a one, two – or even three! – nights stay at one of their 4,900+ properties worldwide. (Or, redeem your points for gift cards or incredible swag! 50,000 IHG Reward Club Points = approximately $500!)
1. The town of St. Jacob’s Ontario is a popular summer destination, but the winter themed activities that take place as part of St. Jacob’s Sparkles are not to be missed. The entire town is decorated for the season, and visitors can sip apple cider or enjoy sleigh rides pulled by either deer or horses. Stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Waterloo-St. Jacobs when you visit.
2. Shake off the snow and get an up close look at Canadian wildlife including polar bears, muskoxen, Arctic fox, wolves and other northern species at the Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Stay at the nearby Holiday Inn Winnipeg – Airport West.
3. When the snow falls, Quebec City is transformed into a winter paradise with Carnaval de Quebec activities for everyone to enjoy. Or, take a winter stroll past the beautiful Palace Royale in Old Quebec. Did you know you can also have a truly unique and authentic Canadian experience while visiting Quebec City this winter? Adventurous winter travellers can enjoy a dog sled ride through forest trails with an option to stay overnight in the forest, or you can rest and rejuvenate at the Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy).
4. Our great lakes are just as great in the winter! Visit Sudbury, Ontario to ice skate around the perimeter of Ramsey Lake, or give ice fishing a try at one of the 330 freshwater lakes in the Greater Sudbury area. Warm up and get cozy while staying at the Holiday Inn Sudbury.
5. Explore the natural scenery and abundance of trails on Vancouver Island this winter by ski, snowboard or snowshoe. For the thrill seeker, heli-skiing is also available! Book your vacation today and stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW.
6. The Niagara region of Ontario is well known for its wine tours, but wine appreciation doesn’t stop when the flurries arrive. The Niagara Icewine Festival is an exciting celebration of food and flavours not to be missed. After a fun night of food and wine, enjoy a relaxing stay at the Holiday Inn St. Catharines.
7. When the temperature drops, the Maritimes become a winter wonderland. Visit The Grand Falls in New Brunswick to see the falls transformed into awe-inspiring columns of ice, or add Fredericton’s annual FROSTival to your winter travel checklist. Stay at the Crowne Plaza Fredericton-Lord Beaverbrook.
8. Another popular summertime destination in the Maritimes, Peggy’s Cove in Nova Scotia is breathtaking when blanketed in a thin layer of snow. Pull on your warm winter clothes and watch the sun set against a backdrop of crashing waves and ice. Stay at the Holiday Inn Halifax Harbourview.
9. There are eleven Provincial Parks in Northern Saskatchewan, including Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park. Plan a visit to take in the winter scenery and get a glimpse of the dazzling Northern Lights visible in the sky over the park. Stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Swift Current.
10. ‘Tis the season to go dashing through the snow, on a one horse open sleigh! Spend some time this winter in our nation’s capital and enjoy an old fashioned sleigh ride through Ottawa’s Greenbelt, or enjoy the festivities during Ottawa’s Winterlude festival. Stay at Hotel Indigo Ottawa Downtown City Centre.
Wherever you choose to travel this season, InterContinental Hotels Group properties including Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express are everywhere you want to be and available to help make your Canadian travel dreams a reality. To get the most out of your travel budget, sign up for IHG Rewards Club and start earning points towards future stays.
Inspired to travel? One lucky Canadian reader will WIN 50,000 IHG Rewards Club Points! That’s enough for a one, two – or even three! – nights stay at one of their 4,900+ properties worldwide.
Did you know? You can also redeem IHG Rewards Club Points for everything from brand name products, jewelry and electronics to rental cars. Or, turn your points into instant entertainment – redeem and download eBooks, games, software, and more! Remember, 50,000 IHG Reward Club Points = approximately $500!
To enter, simply fill the form below with your qualifying entries. And, follow me on Instagram this year as I showcase some of my favourite family travel destinations – winter-themed, winter getaways, you name it! Good luck everyone!