Spoiler Alert: I’m not spontaneous with my beauty routine. AT ALL.
I mean, why should I be? Why should I care? I work from home, my wardrobe consists of tee shirts and track pants, and I’ve been known to extend the washing of my hair by a day (or three).
That’s my life 90% of the time. The other 10% – the part you see on social media – is my glamorous life; the media events and photo shoots, the fashion advertising and beauty blogger selfies. And, if you can only envision one Lena, I want you to think of that version. Because I totes woke up like that. Totes.
Yesterday, feeling like a bored suburban housewife on a Monday morning, I decided to spice up my life. Dipping into a stash of COVERGIRL cosmetics, I created a rocker chick look, complete with winged eyeliner, tousled hair and pouty lips.
I couldn’t let this awesome look go to waste, so I visited Loblaws and picked fresh produce. The end.
(There’s probably a reason I’m not spontaneous with my beauty routine – I don’t have the necessary lifestyle to enjoy it! Nevertheless, a grocery store clerk did check me out. Or, he was side-eyeing me because I was messing up his tower of green peppers.)
Anyhoo, you’re probably wondering how to create this look. It’s easy if you have the right products! First, I filled in my brows with Brow & Eyemakers Pencil in Midnight Brown. If you’re new at brow sculpting, this pencil is extremely forgiving and very versatile. Use short, feathery strokes and build colour gradually. Trust me, it’s hard to mess up with this pencil so take your time and make those brows pop.
Next, reach for COVERGIRL ink it! by perfect point plus. The colour glides on smoothly and easily without skipping, dragging, or pulling, so you can draw a winged line with ease. I like these “hybrid” liners best – the inky look is reminiscent of liquid liner but you have the precision and control of a pencil. The colour is super intense and lasts all day!
Use two coats of LashBlast Volume Blasting Mascara in Very Black. Especially when creating a more dramatic eye, you’ll need the darkest, most intense shade of mascara available. LashBlast’s patented volume-boosting formula and patent-pending brush are designed to max out each and every lash, leaving you with the ultimate big-lash look. It’s one of my standby faves, after the NEW Full Lash Bloom Mascara by LashBlast.
I applied a light dusting of bronzing powder and finished with Lipslicks Smoochies Lip Balm in Sweet Tweet. Especially when I play up my eyes, I opt for a sheer, lightweight gloss of colour, and Smoochies keep lips moisturized and fabulously flirty.
How will you break out of a rut today?