There are several things I believed before I had kids.
I believed that a child could be calmly negotiated with. I believed that “time outs” would be observed with quiet resignation. And for some reason – honestly, I don’t know where I got this idea – I believed that kids only got sick in winter. (I know, right?)
Newsflash, Lena: Kids get sick ALL THE TIME. And it’s almost worse in summer!
First, they’re spending more time outdoors, which means that they’re also spending less time washing their hands before snacking. Then there’s summer camp, which introduces kids to a bevy of new, unfamiliar children and new, unfamiliar viruses. And of course, the warmer months are the perfect time to travel, so we often find ourselves on airplanes, in hotels and at well-populated (read: germ-infested) attractions.
So, how can you keep kiddos healthy during the best two months of the year? I trust Kandoo Flushable Wipes and Personal Care Products and Boogie Wipes to help keep my kids squeaky clean. Here are my best tips for making hygiene a priority – and fun! – this summer.
1. Kandoo Soap at Every Sink. My kids love the brightly coloured, sweetly scented Moisturizing Hand Soap from Kandoo. It has a wide base and a large foaming pump so they can get clean on their own. To reinforce routine hand washing, I place a Kandoo hand soap at every sink in the house – even if mom and dad have our own soap there, too. It’s a gentle reminder that each sink is a “station”, and whether they’re coming in from the outdoors, have finished eating or are through using the toilet, it’s time to clean up. Bonus: the brightly colored foam lets my boys know when they’re covered with soap, for a better clean. Now they just need to get better at cleaning under their fingernails!
2. Wipe, Flush, Repeat. Kandoo Flushable Wipes are amazing for little hands, because the wipes pop up with the push of a button – no rolling or ripping required. They’re moistened with lotion to protect smooth, delicate skin and ensure a thorough, fresh cleaning (up to 30% better than toilet paper). And, because they’re flushable and biodegradable, they’re safe for sewer and septic systems. They’re also great for travel, especially on long car rides or during air travel, because they freshen up little hands and faces in a hurry! (And moms, wave goodbye to wayward mascara! The wipes are perfect for cleaning up dark smudges under the eyes, too. Just check with your ophthalmologist before using if you have sensitive eyes.)
3. Easy Sneezin’ this Allergy Season. Being sick in the summertime sucks. Being sick and having a tender, red nose is even worse. Boogie Wipes are made with natural saline and gentle skin moisturizers. The cool thing about saline is that it actually dissolves mucus… you know… snot. So Boogie Wipes make cleaning up dried crust around a kid’s nose really easy. With added vitamin E, aloe and chamomile, the wipes help to soothe and moisturize the skin. So, no more little red noses.
4. Create Long Lasting Bubbles. Of course kids love bathtime – and of course you love getting the dirt off! Make bathtime the best ever with Kandoo Simply Suds Bubble Bath; natural shea and cocoa butter prevent drying and help children’s skin maintain its natural moisture. Plus, it’s specially formulated for kids with sensitive skin, as it does not contain sulfates, parabens, phthalates or other harsh chemicals. I LOVE that.
5. Take ‘Em With You. One of my best tips to reinforce hygiene with kids is to keep routines constant, especially when on vacation. Hence, I always pack Kandoo’s Moisturizing Hand Soap, Moisturizing Body Wash, Conditioning Shampoo and Flushable Wipes when we travel so their hygiene habits remain the same. I find it so much easier than asking the kids to fumble with a paper-wrapped hotel soap or a teeny shampoo bottle! And hotel toilet paper? Let’s just say that in addition to the Flushable Wipes for the boys, I also pack a roll from home! Yes, I’m that much of an elitist!
Do you have any tips for keeping the germs at bay during the summer months? Do tell! And, be sure to check out Kandoo Flushable Wipes and Personal Care Products and Boogie Wipes to help keep your kids squeaky clean.