NOTE: The following giveaway is open to Canadians only.
Summer is when feet step into the spotlight, after a long winter spent under wraps. Celebrity nail technician Tom Bachik – the talent behind the most beautiful feet to walk the Hollywood red carpet – has teamed up with Dr. Scholl’s to help Canadians get ready for sandal season!
Teaser alert: giveaway coming up!
When it comes to foot care, Canadian women have room to improve: according to a recent survey, as many as 4 in 10 have never had a pedicure! Meanwhile, almost half (44%) of those who have had a pedicure admit that at least a year has gone by since their last experience. I admit, I count myself in this camp – I simply don’t make the time, when I really know I should.
Everybody’s feet deserve a little TLC. The average person can take as many as 10,000 steps per day, during which the feet absorb two to three times the body’s weight. Trendy high-heeled footwear puts added pressure on the ball of the foot and causes a shift in posture that can be harmful to the joints. The right foot care habits target more than just beauty – they can help prevent common problems like corns, calluses and bunions, as well as more serious concerns.
“Our feet are often neglected and suffer from stress and abuse in our day-to-day routines. Regular footcare not only helps our feet feel better, but helps us feel better overall,” said Tom Bachik. “For me, a complete look – whether at the beach or on the red carpet – involves attention to detail. And nothing completes your style like a beautiful pedicure.”
The best footcare regimen doesn’t require regular trips to the salon – it starts with the right habits at home. Here are Tom Bachik’s Top 6 At-Home Summer Footcare Tips:
1. Go back to the Stone Age. For heavily callused area, start by using a pumice stone, such as the Dr. Scholl’s For Her Beauty Stone, a natural pumice that gently rubs away rough and callused skin on dry feet. As you smooth callused areas, wet the stone with warm water to help restore the skin’s natural softness. Maintain softness by using daily in the shower, bath, or foot soak to prevent callus build-up.
2. Slough off winter with a foot scrub. Rinse the foot and apply a foot scrub, such as the Dr. Scholl’s For Her Pumice Foot Scrub, which includes natural peppermint and pumice and exfoliates and moisturizes in one easy step, leaving feet smooth and invigorated.
3. Invest in a soothing soak. Next we want to soak the feet to soothe, revitalize and hydrate. Soaking has the additional benefit of helping to open pores, allowing nutrients and moisturizers to penetrate deeper and be more effective. An easy at-home solution is the Dr. Scholl’s For Her Jelly Soak, which surrounds feet in a fragrant lavender moisturizing and soothing gel and promotes relaxation while creating a sense of well-being. Its special formula retains heat longer than water alone, providing an extended soothing experience.
4. Moisturize, moisturize and then moisturize some more. Feet have fewer oil glands than other parts of the body, which makes them especially susceptible to dryness. Many women fall into the trap of simply using their regular body lotion on their heels and other dry spots, but this area requires an extra-emollient moisturizer, like the Dr. Scholl’s DreamWalk Ultra Overnight Foot Cream, which features a special blend of aloe and palm oil and can soften even the roughest skin overnight. Moisturize nightly before bed for best results.
5. Regular pedicures are a must. Pedicures and proper toenail care are essential to healthy feet. With summer on the way, perfect pedis are a must. When it comes to trends this season, toenails get shorter with a natural to soft square as the on-trend shape. Be sure to keep corners smooth and rounded to help prevent ingrown nails, which are commonly associated with tight shoes and active lifestyles.
6. Protect your feet post-pedicure. Strappy sandals and other open-shoe footwear can cause bumps, blistering, rubbing and foot pain. A few secret weapons can ensure feet stay both stylish and comfortable, including Dr. Scholl’s Corn Cushions, which provide immediate and all-day relief from painful corns, shoe pressure and friction; Dr. Scholl’s For Her Open Shoe Insoles, with ultra-thin foot and heel cushions that provide targeted support right where it’s needed, and Dr. Scholl’s For Her Sole Expressions, which provide soft, stylish cushioning that absorbs pressure with an ultra-thin design that’s perfect for summer’s most trendy open shoes.
And now, to get your feet summer-ready, we’ve got a fab little giveaway for you! One lucky reader will win a Dr. Scholl’s At-Home Summer Foot Care prize pack valued at $100. To enter, simply fill the form below with your qualifying entries. Good luck all!