NOTE: The following giveaway is open to Canadians only.
It’s one of those things that you really have to experience in order to join the conversation. And even then, since every child is different, your advice should be considered, but not necessarily followed. And sometimes, despite your solid preparations and best intentions, everything gets thrown for a loop. And if you’re really unlucky, something will happen and you’ll have to start all over again.
I’m talking about potty training, of course.
I probably potty trained my first son later than I should have, simply because it was easier to change his diaper than go through the motions of getting him on the toilet seat (he’s resistant to change; I’m resistant to accidents on my Berber carpet). The truth is, I didn’t stress about it – I had never heard of a 16-year old wearing diapers, so I was fairly certain that eventually, he would get there.
That’s why I’m not here to offer foolproof potty training tips… there’s no such thing! However, I would like to share a few helpful suggestions from Kandoo Kids, my favourite brand for keeping kids clean.
1. The Basics: Each child is different but the general age range to start potty training is 18-24 months. Start by making positive associations with the toilet early on, such as showing your child how you sit on the toilet to go “potty”.
2. Routine: Establish a routine that encourages your child to use the potty throughout the day.
3. Patience: Since potty training takes time and every child is different, an abundance of patience is necessary… and a little laughter is helpful too.
4. Stay Positive: Even if nothing happens, help your child feel good about the process with positive reinforcements such as singing songs, clapping hands or give them stickers.
5. Washing Hands: Encourage healthy habits from the start by teaching kids how to wash their hands.
Earlier this month, I shared my best tips for keeping kids clean over the summer months. I trust Kandoo Flushable Wipes and Personal Care Products and Boogie Wipes for the task. Well, now it’s your turn to share – for a chance to win a Kandoo prize package valued at $150! …