Note: The following giveaway is open to Canadians only.
We all know one of them. You know, the mom who is almost impossibly hard to shop for because she’s so… damned… PRACTICAL.
“I don’t need anything!”
“Honestly, don’t spend your money on me. Save it for yourself. That’s what makes me happy.”
“I have everything I want!”
I know this woman well – heck, I AM this woman – which is why, if you’re stressed about what to buy mom this upcoming Mother’s Day, I’m here to solve your shopping dilemma. You’re welcome.
And so, I present to you: 5 Mother’s Day Gifts for the Purposeful, Practical Mom.
1. Upgrade her mobile phone. Practical moms are conservative when it comes to their cell phone needs, and we all know an upgrade is a luxury that most moms won’t prioritize. But who wouldn’t LOVE a newer model? Chances are, based on how long mom has had her current phone, she may already be eligible for a sizable chunk of savings if she chooses to extend her plan along with her mobile upgrade. Do a little digging and surprise mom with a gift she’ll love (to text you with!).
2. Purchase a monthly subscription box. Why give her one gift when you can give her twelve? There is simply no shortage of monthly subscription boxes that are based in Canada (or ship to Canada). Choose from beauty, food, crafts, wellness and more! You can select the subscription which most closely matches your practical mom’s interests, and watch her delight in goodies that she’d normally never spoil herself with. I found a neat blog based out of Vancouver – Canadian Subscription Box Addict – where you can easily find a list of all available boxes to Canadians.
3. Kick her mornings up a notch. Moms will say they love their kids first and their morning coffee second. (Depending on the day and how the kids have behaved, the order may switch temporarily.) Keep mom fueled with a quality cup of java – splurge on the best ground coffee you can find, or even better, purchase quality Arabica beans and a small coffee grinder. Finish the gift with a “World’s Best Mom” mug and you’re well on your way to becoming her favourite child.
4. Get her road trip ready. Grab an old (or new) iPod and upload a playlist that includes favourite songs from her youth and a mix of modern classics. Then, bundle it with a gas card, an insulated travel mug and healthy grains bars. If she can’t take a road trip, at least it will make her daily commute more cheerful!
5. Give the ultimate gift – the gift of choice. Prepaid cards make the perfect gift for a practical mom! In fact, the 2016 Annual “What Canadians Really Want: Holiday Gift Trends” survey revealed that Mastercard, American Express and Visa prepaid cards were a top gift for the second year in a row. Specifically:
– 37% of Canadians feel that an American Express, Mastercard and Visa prepaid card is a TOP gift
– 63% of Canadians want to receive prepaid cards so they can get exactly what they want
– 67% of Canadians prefer giving prepaid cards to cash
– 68% of Canadians prefer to receive a prepaid card over a retail store gift card
How can you go wrong? Instead of flowers and chocolate, let mom grab what she really wants. But why else should you love gifting prepaid cards?
a. Prepaid cards are universally accepted. Mom can make purchases anywhere in the world where Mastercard, American Express and Visa are accepted, including online, over the phone and in person.
b. Mom is protected. Prepaid cards issued by card networks can protect consumers by the zero-liability protections offered by the card brand. Make sure she reads the terms and registers her card!
Do you have a practical mom to shop for? One lucky reader will WIN a $250 prepaid card courtesy of the Canadian Prepaid Providers Organization! To enter, simply fill the form below with your qualifying entries. Good luck!