My sweet niece is the type of little girl who can sit still and look pretty…
… for about 10 seconds. Then, she’s on her feet, and under the table. She’s exploring, asking questions, putting things together and pulling them apart. Our little princess has a natural curiosity and fierce independence.
Besides, who wants to sit still and look pretty? There’s a whole world of adventure out there to discover. (And trust me, if it moves or makes a sound, this little explorer is all over it.)
Last weekend, we introduced her to The Little Mermaid. While she’s still a little too young to grasp the nuances of the film, in time, I hope to share with her the values and life lessons that are reinforced by Ariel’s courageous spirit:
1. Focus on what’s important. You can have gadgets and gizmos aplenty, and whozits and whatzits galore… but who cares? It’s no big deal… if you want more. Learn to plan, set goals and give it everything you’ve got.
2. Sing your heart out. Whether it’s in front of a 100-crustacean orchestra or in the privacy of your own room, let loose and sing! It good for the heart, and even better for the soul.
3. Believe in love. Trust that everyone deserves to be loved, and give love – unconditionally – in return. And when in doubt, follow your heart.
4. Look beyond your own backyard. It can seem like the world is one big, scary place – but that’s only until you broaden your horizons! There is so much to see and do… don’t be afraid to get out there to experience it all.
5. Let courage lead the way. Life isn’t without challenges, and often, we need to change to adapt – even if those changes take a leap of faith. Throw caution to the wind and let courage lead the way; you may just find that your worst fears bring out the best in you!
As my niece plays with her Disney Princess dolls and playsets, she couldn’t have a better role model for courage and independence than Ariel. And wherever her adventures take her – in her own backyard or under the sea – I hope she embraces her independent spirit and will risk all to make her dreams come true.
Dream Big, Princess! The sky is the limit! I can’t wait to watch you earn your crown.