I’ve always been hands-on when it comes to gifts for little ones, and if I can make it myself, I prefer the personal touch. For a while after my first son was born, I went through a phase of creating custom scrapbook pages for fellow new parents. It was therapeutic and a great way to have a little time to myself, especially after spending most of the day (and night) with a newborn.
Later, I discovered the simple joy of putting together baby-to-be and new baby gift baskets. Using novelty items like teddy bears, weaved in with necessities like body and bath products, it was a great way to add a personal touch to gift giving.
Although it’s been some time since I’ve created a baby basket, the principals remain the same! Pictured above, a “Welcome Baby” basket from The Basket Company.
If you’re creating your own baby-to-be or new baby basket, here’s what you need to do.
1. Select a theme. It can be as simple as girl or boy-themed, or a little more imaginative, like a “Baby Essentials” basket for new parents or perhaps a “Calming” basket to promote good sleep vibes. Choosing a theme for the basket will make it easier for you to decide on the contents and establish a spending budget.
2. Decide where to splurge vs. save. Some items, such as baby boots, bath toys or washcloths, can be procured from dollar or discount stores, whereas you’ll want to splurge on keepsakes, stuffed animals, clothing and/ or feeding items.
3. Choose quality baby care products. I’m a big fan of AVEENO BABY – the #1 pediatrician recommended baby brand in Canada. From moisturizers to washes, AVEENO Baby products with ACTIVE NATURALS ingredients keep baby’s skin looking and feeling soft and smooth. Plus, they have targeted products for all needs, like Eczema Care, Soothing Relief and Calming Comfort.
4. Be in balance. Although it’s tempting to fill a baby basket with cute and novelty items, you want to ensure that you focus on practical newborn must-haves. Make sure you have at least one item from the following categories: baby grooming, baby clothing, skin and bath care, plush toys and diapering.
5. Add a personal touch. If baby has already arrived, consider a personalized memento such as a monogrammed blankie or an engraved keepsake. For a baby-to-be basket, you can customize based on baby’s gender or theme of the baby shower.
However you decide to assemble your baby-to-be or new baby basket, have fun with it!
I love giving baskets as shower gifts! They’re so much fun to customize
I do up my own baskets as well, I think it makes it much more personal and I love doing it
I love this idea. I would probably splurge on the baby booties. That i know are so, so unnecessary, but they’re cute. And I would get good quality soap (Like Aveeno). The cheap stuff isn’t worth putting in it.
thatd be such a great gift!
I love doing this because you can mix in some cute baby items along with essentials like diapers. Makes for a nice gift.
I love putting together baskets and make them up for many occasions. They also make a great gift!
this is so cute. thanks for the ideas
I make new baby baskets too but since I’ve never had a baby and really don’t know what they need I focus on clothes and toys and add in a few pampering items for mom, like tea or lip balm. :)
I love filling baskets for any occasions
I love the idea of using a basket for baby showers.
I love making baskets, so much more personal and appreciative!! and you can fill them up more than what the stores have
Gift baskets are so nice. You can put all the little things in that you know they’d love.
Honestly I think a basket gift is super fun, it’s a decorative presentation and makes things more personal!
Very cute and great ideas
I just love this. I would love to put a pretty basket together for a new baby. :)
Custom always makes it that more special. I do baskets for for teachers gifts at xmas.
Debbie White Beattie
This is a good idea but I like to make my own. I buy the stuff I need and I try to pick a theme whether for women, men, dogs, cats, kids etc. For me it’s lots of fun!