It’s been called “liquid gold”, and I concur – I love honey for its complex taste and amazing versatility. No matter how you enjoy it, honey is nature’s perfect sweetener!
(Psst! Recipe for Strawberry, Honey and Mascarpone Tartlets coming up – featuring my favourite, Billy Bee honey!)
Did you know: Honey is an organic, natural sugar alternative with no additives. It’s easy on the stomach, adapts to virtually all cooking processes, and has an indefinite shelf-life when stored in optimal conditions. What more could you ask for?
(It’s also a term of endearment. I reserve “Honey” for only the sweetest people in my life!)
Billy Bee honey is bringing sweet tips and recipes to your kitchen to celebrate the fall season. Opting for a natural sweetener, like Billy Bee honey, is a great way to add an extra drizzle of sweetness (and unique taste) to all your favourite meals, from breakfast to late night snacks.
Who can resist honey drizzled over a firm, salty cheese? Or brushed with mustard over a barbecued chicken breast? I especially love spreading creamed honey on toast, or enjoy it stirred into a hot mug of camomile tea. Honey truly is a great pantry staple and makes excellent combinations with other flavours due to its truly unique flavour and natural character.
True story: I actually consider myself quite the expert when it comes to cooking and baking with honey. Here are my best tips for making the most of this sweet treat!
1. Substituting honey for granulated sugar in your recipes is super easy. Visit billybee.ca and check out their Sugar-Honey Converter, where you can use the table as a reference when exploring different ways of cooking with honey instead of sugar.
2. Honey is a great emulsifier for salad dressings and adds a touch of sweetness to your greens. It pairs particularly well with dried herbs such as mint, oregano and dill, and perfectly balances the acid in a red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
3. I’m pretty good at eyeballing honey measurements, but if you do need a precise amount, coat your measuring cup or spoon with non-stick cooking spray before adding the honey. The honey will slide right out, no fuss, less mess!
4. Because honey retains moisture, it lends richness and moistness to cakes and pastries. We all have a favourite, handed-down-through-generations cake recipe that is delicious – but dry. Substitute honey for a more moist and flavourful cake!
5. Ready to enjoy the smooth, sweet taste of honey? For a whole bunch of buzz-worthy Billy Bee honey recipes and more, check out Flavour.ca.
Of course, I just had to share a quick and easy dessert that is my go-to when company’s coming – try these delicious Strawberry, Honey and Mascarpone Tartlets! With the goodness of honey and the smooth, creaminess of mascarpone, they’re the perfect end to a great meal, and they’re ready in under 30 minutes!
12 frozen tartlets, thawed
1 cup mascarpone cheese
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup Billy Bee honey, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
5-6 ripe strawberries, sliced
lightly toasted coconut, for garnish (if desired)
Bake tartlets according to manufacturer’s directions; cool.
In a medium bowl, mix mascarpone, heavy cream and honey. Spoon approximately 1½ tablespoons of the mixture into cooled tartlet and top with a slice of strawberry. Drizzle with Billy Bee honey and sprinkle toasted coconut, if desired. Enjoy!
Tell me: Do you find honey buzz-worthy? What’s your preferred way to enjoy honey?