With men, there are a few absolutes.
1. Boxers or Briefs?
2. Pretty Boy or Smouldering Stud?
3. Toilet seat, up or down? (DOWN!)
Clean shaven or scruffy?
Me – I’m a clean shaven kind of gal. It’s just much easier to snuggle with a guy when you don’t have to worry about stubble-burn on your face. And since my husband’s stubble resembles a million shards of glass, I tend to endorse a peachy-soft look and feel. Lucky for me, he has never been the Ryan-Gosling-in-The-Notebook type; usually after two days of growing his “beard”, he caves.
Of course, a man who shaves that often, of course he has honed his craft – and does he ever take it seriously! I’m not sure you’ll believe me, but he swears it’s true: he has never used a disposable razor. In his lifetime. (I know, seriously?) From the moment he began to shave, it’s been electric shavers all the way. *Cough – “metrosexual” – cough*
Hence, you can bet that he leapt at the opportunity to review the Philips SensoTouch 3D a couple of years ago. Touted as the “Cadillac of Electric Shavers”, my husband had never before owned a Philips shaver, opting instead for their competitor over the years. You know, the B-word. So not only was it a review of the shaver, but an introduction to the brand as well.
1. Initial discomfort. The package actually stipulates that it can take 2-4 weeks for your skin to get used to the shaver. Since my husband has used an electric shaver all his life, he initially scoffed at this – until he saw that his skin was red, irritated and to quote him, “On fire!” Because he normally shaves dry, I have a feeling that this contributed to the discomfort. Alas, the problem was quickly solved with a bottle of Nivea aftershave balm. After a few weeks, he then enjoyed a comfortable shaving experience.
2. Absolutely clean shave. The shaver leaves no stubble behind. Zero. Zilch. Nada. In fact, to this day, he often asks me to feel his cheek, and I must grudgingly admit that it’s as soft as our 3 year old’s. The Philips SensoTouch 3D takes smooth shaving to a whole new level.
3. His favourite shaver ever. My husband couldn’t believe it took him so long to discover the Philips brand and their enviable products. With the Philips SensoTouch 3D, he shaves in under 3 minutes every morning! Also, he loved the quiet operation, ease of cleaning and incredible battery life (up to 60 minutes of shave time).
That was almost two years ago. And as this Father’s Day rolled around, I wondered if it was time for a replacement. His answer:
“Hell NO. That’s the best electric shaver EVER. Don’t you dare replace it.”
However, he did agree that after repeated use, the SensoTouch 3D was not performing to the standard it once was. And a light bulb went off: why not just replace the head? Since the Philips SensoTouch shavers range in price from $279.99 to $329.99 – but the replacement head is priced at just $69.99 – it’s like gifting him a brand new shaver… for less than half the cost. Win-Win!
Ladies, take a look at your man’s electric shaver before Father’s Day. And consider giving him the gift of great skin; if he’s shaving with anything but a Philips SensoTouch 3D, y’all need to buy him one, stat. And if he’s already lucky enough to own one – why not consider a replacement head? It’ll be the gift that keeps on giving.