With so many friends and family escaping the cold this winter, I’m often asked for dining suggestions in Orlando, Florida. Now normally, if you’re staying at the Walt Disney World Resort, I’d say just break bread at one of their fabulous, kid-friendly restaurants. They have a variety of themes and cuisines to suit every taste, and in fact are very reasonably priced for families of four.
(If you’re on a budget, you can try the quick-service restaurants – however, while easy on the wallet, they’re not-so-easy on the waistline, offering heavily greasy, heavily portioned food.)
Of course, whether you’re staying on- or off-resort, there’s one dining option that is always a treat for the whole family: T-REX Cafe in Downtown Disney.
I had the pleasure of visiting T-REX Cafe last year during a Visit Orlando media trip, and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience from start to finish. However, it occurred to me this morning that for all the times I’ve recommended the restaurant to family and friends, I haven’t written an official review! But first –
Why It’s a ROAR:
1) Squawking pterosaurs, wooly mammoths, a massive undulating octopus and life-sized animatronic dinosaurs – including a 15-foot-tall T. Rex – make for a roaring good time.
2) Dine on family-friendly American favorites beneath luminescent jellyfish or inside the midsection of a triceratops! Every 20 minutes or so, witness a meteor shower complete with rumbling and fiery “explosions.”
3) From salads to steaks, tear into tasty tectonic plates that every creature in your family will enjoy. Brought to you by the same folks behind Rainforest Café, T-REX features family-friendly fare sure to please herbivores, omnivores and carnivores alike.
4) Visit the Paleo Zone, a hands-on experience where you can dig for hidden dinosaur fossils, pan for precious treasures in Discovery Creek and learn more about “the time before time” through interactive displays.
5) Parking is complimentary at the Downtown Disney area, so even if you’re staying off-resort, you can drive in to enjoy a feast for the senses. Then, stay awhile and explore the Downtown Disney area, where world-class restaurants, dazzling entertainment and unique shops line the waterfront….