I know you know that I recently moved into a new home. And I know you know this because I can’t. stop. talking. about. it.
I’ll admit it; I’m overwhelmed. There’s just so much to do! From the simple things like changing my mailing address to the more complicated matters such as making sure the kids are adjusting well in their new school, lately, I’ve been feeling the pressure. Add in all the tedious tasks like unpacking, assembling furniture and restocking the pantry… and perhaps overwhelmed isn’t a strong enough word! Of course, I’m not alone; 54% of Canadians rank packing and moving among their most dreaded tasks to complete at home.
Therefore, when help is available, I’ll take it. Gladly.
I was recently introduced to TaskRabbit, an on-demand network that conveniently connects people with “Taskers” to handle everyday home improvement tasks. Taskers can help with everything from furniture assembly to sewing to running errands for you – you can even hire a tasker to help you wait in line!
As someone who normally depends on experts for everything from delivery to installation, I was immediately intrigued. How does it work? Who are the taskers? How do I handle booking and payment? Turns out, it’s so simple! Here’s how to save time and sanity when you need help with a task.
1. Visit www.taskrabbit.ca or download the app. Then, you can describe in simple words what you need help with. Since we had just received the boys’ bedroom furniture from IKEA – which happened to still be in boxes because, hello, I’m overwhelmed! – I excitedly checked the “IKEA Furniture Assembly” button on the website.
2. Next, decide when you need help. Is there an immediate need for a tasker? Are you interested in booking in the future? Or are you just browsing around to check out the taskers and their hourly rates? Either way, proceed to the next step so you can be connected with qualified taskers in your area. Since we required the dressers and nightstands to be assembled as soon as possible, I indicated that I was ready to book right away.
3. Input your address, the estimated time for the task and a brief description of what you’ll need done; TaskRabbit will need this information to find a local handyman. Et voila! You’ll instantly be connected with taskers in the area and will see their name, photo, and other pertinent information which can help you make your decision on who to hire.
4. Scrutinize the taskers. No, seriously. You’ll want to compare hourly rates, check out the number of related tasks they’ve completed and most importantly, read customer reviews. Remember, you may be inviting this person into your home. Take time to ensure you feel comfortable with your selection!
5. Hire your tasker. You can chat with your Tasker, adjust task details or change the task time after booking. The best part? You won’t be charged until the task is 100% complete!
We settled on Michael, a tasker with 100% positive feedback and a competitive rate per hour.
The ensuing process and results? Absolutely seamless and perfectly painless! Michael showed up on time, was polite, professional and completed the work as required, in the time allotted. I honestly couldn’t have asked for a better tasker or a more positive experience.
Hiring a Tasker through TaskRabbit allowed me to concentrate on the 320 other tasks I currently have to complete, which, given my current to do list, is priceless. In fact, while Michael completed the assembly of my furniture, I was able to:
– (almost) clean up my entire inbox!
– schedule a grocery pickup online
– register the boys in winter sports programs
– watch twelve funny cat videos on Facebook
Time well spent!
Here’s what I also loved about the service:
1. Using the website was simplicity at its finest. Although I did download the app, I preferred the desktop interface. The instructions for hiring a Tasker were clear and easy to follow.
2. Because the transaction is completed through TaskRabbit, there’s no exchange of money with the actual Tasker. That means you don’t have to worry about having cash on hand, and if you’d like to leave a gratuity, you can do that through the service as well.
3. Our Tasker completed the IKEA furniture assembly in approximately a quarter of the time than it would have taken my husband and I, with 100% less stress. (We are not handy people. Not even a little bit.)
Ready to book your next task? Visit www.taskrabbit.ca. Currently, TaskRabbit is available in the Greater Toronto Area and Vancouver, with plans to expand to more Canadian cities in 2019.
I received a promotional stipend in order to review TaskRabbit services. The opinions on this blog, as always, are my own.