It’s the season for tall riding boots and warm, cozy sweaters. The crisp, clean air is accented with the tempting aroma of Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Leaves are changing, days are shortening, and the holiday rush is just around the corner.
Welcome to Fall.
Now, besides your wardrobe and your choice of coffee house beverage, can you think of any other changes you’ll make this season? Chances are, some of your adjustments will be so subtle, you may not even notice. Like, you’ll probably sleep earlier as the days get shorter. You may even spend a little more time selecting clothes as you layer and accessorize for the cooler temps. And you’ll likely alter your diet and lifestyle, eating heavier meals while exercising less, which can lead to digestive troubles.
Did You Know: The combination of low-fibre meals, foods high in sugar and fats plus a lack of exercise can lead to constipation; so can the stress of getting back into our regular fall routines. But it doesn’t have to impact your fun – here are my best tips for staying on top of your digestive health for a happy tummy:
1. Eat smarter and exercise. Eat a mix of fruits, veggies, legumes and grains – aim to consume about 20 to 30 grams of fibre daily. Try to limit low-fibre foods i.e. cheese, processed foods, ice cream (sugar and fat!), and drink lots of water and exercise at least 30 min a day.
2. Commit to a healthy lifestyle. While diet and exercise are paramount to good digestion, it’s also important to keep other healthy habits. Don’t smoke, avoid stress, establish regular sleeping patterns and adopt good time management techniques.
3. Consume products that contain pre and probiotics. There’s nothing better than intestinal flora that is in balance. Consume products such as yogurt, kefir, bananas, whole grain breads and honey to promote healthy gut bacteria.
4. Eat at regular times. We all know that skipping meals is bad for us, but dining at erratic times is just as disruptive to our digestion. Aim to have 4-6 small meals throughout the day, or 3 well-balanced meals at regular intervals. Establish a new routine for dining and stick to it.
5. Get Relief. If changing your lifestyle habits isn’t enough, try Dulcolax® Laxative tablets for gentle, predictable overnight relief; or speak to your doctor/ pharmacist for more information.
BONUS: Don’t forget to check out the fall high-value offer from Dulcolax® available at major retailers across the country (English Canada only) and in-store now until the end of October. When you buy Dulcolax® at your local pharmacy it’s easy to pick-up a $5.00 off rebate coupon and mail-in for redemption. (Applies to Dulcolax® and Dulcolax® for Women Laxative tablets).
Fall is the perfect time to start a new routine – especially one that involves taking care of your digestive health. In fact, according to the Canadian Digestive Health Foundation, poor digestive health can affect your mood, energy, concentration and ability to fight infection. With the holidays just around the corner, you won’t want to be saddled down with tummy woes. This season, “fall” into better health!