Now that the warmer temps have finally arrived, it’s safe to talk about suncare without enduring Boo! and Hiss! from my collective audience.
(Technically, y’all should be applying sunscreen all year round. You do know that, don’t you?)
Still, there seems to be a consensus that once the jackets come off and the sunroofs come down, it’s time to break out the sunscreen. However, until recently, it was hard to find product that:
a) wasn’t thick and chalky
b) didn’t take eons to slather on, leaving a gross, sticky feel
c) gave the skin an odd, whitish appearance
Sounds like your sunscreen? Then you’re using the wrong sunscreen, mate.
There’s only one sunscreen for me – Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30. It’s the only sunscreen that has hydrating ribbons for continuous in-sun moisture, which means that it acts more like a high-end moisturizer than a drugstore sunscreen. When paired with the Silk Hydration After Sun Lotion, you are ready to rock and roll.
(I *may* have used Ryder’s Hot Wheels to prop up the product on my snazzy Hawaiian Tropic beach towel. Okay, I admit that I did. A girl’s gotta improvise, you know!)
So here’s the deal. The Silk Hydration Sunscreen incorporates UVA and UVB sun protection with hydrating ribbons infused with silk protein and shea butter. And on top of Hawaiian Tropic’s trusted formula, you’ll also receive 12-hour moisture, a silky, luxurious feel and waterproof protection. Did I forget to mention the signature coconut fragrance? Smells like summer!
And after you’re done enjoying the outdoors, relax with the Silk Hydration After Sun Lotion. The dual ribbon formula pampers and nourishes your skin after a day in the sun with ribbons of aloe, which provides rich, luxurious moisture with cooling effects. With mango, shea butter and 24-hours of hydration, it will be your go-to lotion all year round!
This week, we’ll be travelling to Walt Disney World with the kiddos. Here are some of my best tips for staying sun smart on family vacays:
1. When you think you’ve packed enough sunscreen, pack a little more. You’ll always want to ensure that you’ve got enough on hand to adequately protect your family, and even though a bottle may last a few weeks at home, keep in mind that you’ll be applying and re-applying with greater frequency when you’re outdoors all week long.
2. Not all sunscreen is created equally. Another reason you’ll want to pack more than enough? If you do run out, purchasing sunscreen from a resort gift shop is expensive, and, you’ll have to make do with whatever brand they happen to offer. You’ve spent so much time selecting the most trusted sunscreen for your family’s needs – why settle for a sub-premium brand when you need it most? (… On sale for $22 USD #highwayrobbery)
3. Mix it up. Bring along a few different formulations for the different needs of family members. My shoulders always require SPF 50; thankfully, Silk Hydration Sunscreen is available in a higher SPF formula for fair or sun-sensitive skin. Kids, who often have sensitive skin, can benefit from Banana Boat Natural Reflect Sunscreen Lotion. For women who loathe shiny faces (myself included!), a safe bet is the oil-free formulation of Hawaiian Tropic Sensitive Skin Face Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30. With a light formula that can be used under makeup, plus a fragrance-free, non-greasy formula that won’t clog pores, it’s perfect for all skin types. Finally, for dads who like to cannonball into the pool, Island Sport Clear Sunscreen Spray SPF 30 is just the ticket to stay protected for longer; it’s waterproof, won’t run into eyes, and application is a breeze thanks to the continuous spray.
4. Bring along some #safesun friends. Sunscreen works best when surrounded by its posse: a hat, sunglasses and protective clothing. The best way to minimize sun exposure it to block it out completely – especially on vulnerable areas like the back of the neck, ears and around your eyes. The two most common places sunscreen is missed? The top of feet and the back of knees!
5. What you take can make you bake. Did you know that some medications – including certain antibiotics, birth control pills, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and hypertension medication – can affect your sensitivity to the sun? Be sure to consult your doctor before spending extended periods of time outdoors.
I’ve got my Hawaiian Tropic packed and ready to go – but who says I should have all the fun? Here’s a fabulous SAMPLING OPPORTUNITY!
I’m looking for twenty-five (25) Canadian readers who would love to rate and review Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 AND Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration After Sun Moisturizer (both 59ml sample sizes – perfect for travel!). We’ll mail the product right to your door, and you’ll have 2-3 weeks to give it a go. Then, simply send your review to me with your honest feedback. To thank you for your time, we’ll also enter you in a draw to win a $50 Visa Gift Card. (Great odds – 1 in 25!)
EDIT: All samples have been claimed! Thanks to everyone for their interest – look for more sampling opportunities from other fabulous bloggers!