Although I keep telling people that I am a reformed oniomaniac, the truth is, I often fall off the wagon.
(Oniomaniac: from Greek ὤνιος onios “for sale” and μανία mania “insanity”, is the technical term for the compulsive desire to shop, more commonly referred to as compulsive shopping, shopping addiction, shopaholism, compulsive buying or CBD.)
The thing is, I just can’t resist a bargain. Or a promotion. Or a REWARD.
So, it makes sense that I am all over the new Scotiabank Gold American Express Card. First, it’s an AMEX Card. Hello! There’s just a certain prestige that comes with being an American Express Cardmember, and why not? AMEX is a worldwide brand that allows its Cardmembers to enjoy extraordinary service, travel benefits and rewards.
Second, for the frequent traveler or work-at-home-mom in much need of a vacation (waving hand wildly here), the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card allows you to reach your travel goals faster.
Here’s why it’s awesome: Not only do you receive 20,000 bonus points when you make your first purchase – you’ll also earn 4x Scotia Rewards points for every $1 you spend at eligible gas stations, grocery stores, on dining and entertainment. Translation: while I’m out and about spending money on the boring stuff like groceries and gas, I’m actually earning rewards that will bring me that much closer to a much needed vacation. Four times closer, to be exact.
Third – and I love this one – once I’ve earned all the points I need, I can redeem them for my complete trip – including taxes and surcharges. That means nothing out of pocket, which of course means more money to spend on pre-trip clothes, post-trip souvenirs, and a margarita or two in between :)
In the past, I’ve often redeemed credit card rewards points for gift cards and electronics. Travel just wasn’t my thing, and after having two boys, two years apart – let’s just say that purchasing a gift card was often reward enough. Now that the boys are a little older, the travel bug is alive within me! I can’t wait to rack up Scotia Rewards in the hopes of redeeming them for an airline ticket or two. The destination? Somewhere that doesn’t require down-filled winter jackets!
And by way, you may have noticed that Scotiabank is the ONLY major bank in Canada to issue American Express branded cards – yes, it’s a pretty big deal. Key features of the card:
Scotiabank Gold American Express Card
• 4 points for every dollar spent on the card at gas stations, grocery stores and on dining and entertainment, 1 point for all other purchases with the card
• No blackouts, no points expiry, no seat restrictions and no booking fees
• Travel service with access to global concierge specialists
• Ability to redeem points at or after booking for travel including airfare, hotel, car rental, cruise and vacation packages. Points can also be redeemed for merchandise and credits to Scotiabank investment and credit products
• Highly competitive insurance benefits, such as Travel Emergency Medical (including travelers age 65+) and Rental Car Collision insurance
• $99 annual fee (among the most competitive fee for a premium travel reward card currently on the market). Additional card annual fee is $29 and the interest rates are 19.99% on purchases and 21.99% on cash advances, balance transfers and Scotia Credit Card cheques
My Scotiabank Gold American Express Card is on its way over to me, and I can’t wait to start shopping at popular Canadian merchants that qualify for accelerated Scotia Rewards points (think Sobey’s, McDonald’s, Petro Canada and more). With Christmas shopping right around the corner, I am all over ways to save money and put money back in my account. My goal is to treat family, friends – and myself! – to a wonderful (and rewarding) holiday.
This post was sponsored by the new Scotiabank®* Gold American Express® Card.
The opinions expressed herein as always, are my own.