For a stay-at-home mom, I get around A LOT.
Press events and trips. Weekend getaways. Appointments, business meetings and coffee dates. Picnics. Even the backyard, avoiding splashes from the kiddie pool.
And through it all, I simply must stay connected.
Think I tote my smartphone everywhere? I suppose I do; you’d be hard-pressed to find a social media enthusiast without a trusty handheld device. But I absolutely loathe trying to organize my life, business and fun with just two thumbs. There is only so much one can accomplish!
So, I tried the tablet route. And while everything is bigger, I feel like I’ve swapped my thumbs for index fingers. Yes, some people will swear that a tablet is the way to go, but from a gal who uses a keyboard 99% of the time, I feel like I’m enabling carpal tunnel syndrome as I type away at a touchscreen. #notmycupoftea
However, not willing to change my lifestyle, I began compiling a wishlist for a device that would keep up with me and my social demands – both at home and on the road. It would have to be:
2. Exceptionally fast
3. With a full keyboard
4. And a large display
5. Long battery life
Could such a dream machine exist? How wonderfully it would complement my life! But how to start – where to look?
Thankfully, I didn’t have to search long – the tech gods at Dell answered my prayers by sending the XPS 13 Ultrabook for review. Ladies and gents, meet my VERY FAVOURITE way to stay connected.
1. Lightweight: The XPS13 is razor-thin – a slim 6mm at its thinnest point (WOW!) and only 18mm at its thickest point – with a weight of just 2.99 lbs. In plain English, that means it’s only slightly heavier than the average tablet, yet HALF the weight of a MacBook Pro. Plus, it tucks nicely into medium totes and shoppers; outer luggage pockets; even under your arm :)
2. Exceptionally Fast: You may not believe me, but I swear I’m telling the truth – the XPS13 boots up in UNDER 8 seconds (on average for me, 4-5 seconds each time). With a solid-state drive and Intel Rapid Start Technology, you can actually come out of sleep mode in just ONE (1) second!!! I don’t know about you, but one of my biggest pet peeves is waiting for laptops to power up. With the new XPS13, I’m always getting social first.
3. Full keyboard: Hallelujah, I can type. And, I’m typing in comfort: with a full backlit keyboard, I also enjoy a comfort-designed, soft-touch palmrest and integrated button touchpad with gesture support. Translation: I blog for hours without strain or discomfort. When was the last time you typed out a blog post, long e-mail or FB message on your tablet? Painful, I know.
4. Large display: Totally cool feature here – the innovative design of XPS 13 enables an expansive 13.3” edge-to-edge display in a compact body similar to an 11″ laptop. So, you’re getting extra bang for your buck; the luxury of a wider screen encased in a smaller laptop. Win/win!
5. Long battery life: I devoutly used the XPS13 during my recent press trip to Fisher-Price headquarters. At one point during the late afternoon, a fellow blogger looked over at the laptop and exclaimed in surprise, “Don’t you have to re-charge?!” HA! I was proud as a peacock to inform her that the Ultrabook actually has an extraordinary battery life – on a full charge, up to 8 hours and 52 minutes, to be exact! That means that I can forget about toting around a bulky charger; I’ve got more than enough juice to take me through the day.
6. Powerful: Warning! Tech talk ahead. With 2nd Generation Intel Core processors, this Ultrabook delivers enviable speed and performance. For those days when you’re juggling a presentation, keeping up with email and social networks, and downloading new music — plus doing it all on the go — the optional 2nd gen Intel Core i7 processors and Intel HD 3000 graphics can help you stay on top of your world. Intel’s top-of-the-line processors start up ultra-fast and offer the ultimate in responsiveness.
I’m looking forward to taking my Dell XPS13 with me everywhere I go. I simply can’t stop gushing about it! For social media lovers, moms on the go, students, entertainment buffs and more, this laptop makes perfect sense.