**GIVEAWAY BELOW – Keep Reading!**
Another quality product makes it’s way north of the border – A+D Diaper Rash products are now available in Canada. Did you know that almost every baby may experience diaper rash at some point? Yep, the odds are discouraging. What is encouraging, however, is that we’ll now have access to one of the best selling products aimed at preventing and curing the unwanted irritation.
A+D offers two distinct products to meet your baby’s specific needs – one to prevent diaper rash every day, and one to treat occasional rashes. I received both the diaper rash ointment and diaper rash cream to test. Since my house is currently a rash-free zone, I passed the items on to Lila, a friend who runs a home daycare. Let’s break it down:
The goods: A+D Diaper Rash Ointment can be used at every diaper change to help prevent diaper rash from occurring, especially at bedtime when exposure to wet diapers is prolonged. It is specially formulated with vitamins A, D and lanolin.
The feedback: Lila liked the thick, gel-like consistency and praised it’s protective quality. Both babies who were offered the ointment stayed free of diaper rash for the 7-day test period, even though one had been prone to bouts of rash in the past.
The goods: A+D Diaper Rash Cream is specially formulated with zinc oxide, the #1 pediatrician-recommended ingredient for the treatment of diaper rash. It spreads on easily, providing thorough coverage for fast, effective treatment and long-lasting protection.
The feedback: A little cream went a long way to soothe crevices that displayed signs of impending rash. Lila told me to make sure I indicated that she LOVED THE SCENT, ease of application and staying power of the product. Her only complaint is that I did not introduce this cream to her sooner – it makes her Top 10 list of things she has on hand at the daycare.
So it got me thinking – what are my Top 10 must have items? In no particular order…
1. An effective diaper ointment and/or cream, of course. It’s essential to have on hand, because you definitely do NOT want your little one to suffer even a minute if they don’t have to. Lila recommends A+D products!
2. For nursing mamas, the Medela Freestyle breast pump. I don’t think I could live without it. Not only did it help establish my milk supply, but it allows me to express a full feed in a matter of minutes. A double electric pump rules.
3. For bottle feeding mamas, Born Free bottles. They are the only bottles that made sense when I had Ryder (he was born around the same time the whole BPA issue came to light) and the only bottles Reid will accept when he’s not on the breast. LOVE them.
4. A wipes warmer. We do everything we can to keep our little ones warm and toasty – so why wipe their delicate bum bum with a cold wipe? YOU try cold, wet toilet paper and see how you like it. Plus, wipes warmers do a great job of keeping the wipes moist and fresh.
5. A stylish diaper bag. I waited to long to join the ranks of the fashion forward mamas. If you’re going to give up Coach, make sure you’re replacing it with something that makes an equally bold statement. Plus, chances are that diaper bag will be on your arm for YEARS. Don’t cheap out.
6. A good thermometer. When your child is sick, you will take his/her temperature obsessively. Like, every hour. Sometimes twice an hour, especially if they already have a fever. Invest in a quality thermometer which provides accurate measurements quickly.
7. An automatic bouncer. Mimicking the swaying motion of a mother’s arms, I don’t think I could have survived the first few weeks without it. And now that Reid requires less sleep, it’s his favourite chair to bounce, chill and otherwise observe the world. I like the Bright Starts Ingenuity Automatic bouncer.
8. Sleepers. You can never have too many, especially in the first few months when babies pee, poop and spit up all over their clothes. Sometimes Reid’s explosive #2’s creep out of his diaper, necessitating several changes per day. And there’s something wonderful about a baby who’s all cuddled up from tip to toe.
9. A quality baby monitor. No need to get fancy with HD video and surround sound; one that clearly detects noise is sufficient and will allow you to be in another part of the house without having to check in every 5 minutes. With Ryder, I barely used the monitor in the first few months because I was too paranoid to let him out of my sight. I know better now, and Reid is monitored (pun intended) from afar every chance I get.
10. PVR. This one’s for you, mama. It will allow you to watch your favourite shows at a time that suits you; entertain you in the middle of the night (infomercials at 4:00am do nothing to keep me alert); and you’ll be more willing to give up Y&R for The Backyardigans, knowing that you can catch it later on. LOVE PVR.
Is your must-have item not on this list? Do tell!
To enter, simply leave a comment telling us what your own “must have” item is for new babies. I’ll draw for a winner at the end of next week. Please note that you can enter this giveaway on multiple blogs, but you can only win once.
*Blog Followers, Claim Your EXTRA Entry!*
I wrote this post while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central Canada and received a Mom Central gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate. The opinions on this blog are my own.
Loved reading your list—There are two items on yours that I actually would take off mine:Wipes warmer. We loved it at first, but then it became more of a hassle than anything else. It had to be filled with water and the wipes, while they came out warm, were cold in mere moments! Luckily I got mine on sale. If I were doing it again, I don't think I would buy one. Monitor. Call me old fashioned, but honestly, we bought one and used it only a handful of times. Right now, it is sitting in pieces in a closet, in a ziplock bag! I found that they picked up EVERY single sound and we often woke up to EVERY tiny squeak and snore. After a while, like the wipes warmer, we just turned it off and packed it away because it sat in his room gathering dust. Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I think you can always here your baby cry — that is of course you live in a mansion and in which case, you probably have a wet nurse or a nanny!!! As for the swing—YES. That saved our lives and it totally worked with us. My thoughts.
@Runnermama – OMG. Giving up my baby monitor would include a 12-step program, ha ha! But then, that's because I have to rely on it – many times while Reid's napping, I take Ryder to the basement for an 80's/90's music dance party! I can't hear a thing over the booming voice of Rick Astley :)
You list is pretty good, so I will choose an item that is not on there, and that is a breast feeding pillow! Even for Mommies who choose not to breastfeed- It is good to have one. You can use it for baby, or yourself, or just extra support while you are holding baby- we really enjoyed ours (My husband too!)
I follow via Google Friend Connect!
Agree with runnermama about the wipes warmer. I've never used one.I would add on a swing – keeps them calm during the day, and provides an alternate place to fall asleep at night when the simply don't fall asleep in the crib…not a Canadian resident, but Ca citizen!
I don't have a must-have list yet (baby's not due til Feb!), but I think you've got a great list going (and hope this will count as an entry ;))! I love that PVR is on the list. And as for a monitor, we have a three-story house. Bedrooms on top, and most of our time is spent in the basement – a monitor will be a complete necessity.
The Miracle Blanket! My baby sleeps so much better when he was swaddled and nothing swaddles the baby like the miracle blanket!
How can I forget my comfy reclining glider! It was a life saver on those long nights when you have to hold the baby and/or breastfeed your baby non-stop! I lived in mine for the first 4 months!
I could not live without our padded change pad!! We have been in situations where we had to change our daughter's diaper in the trunk of our car because we were out and that was the only place for privacy! Without that change pad, we would not have felt good about plopping her in the trunk (or anywhere else for that matter) but the change pad allowed us to change her virtually anywhere! LOL!
You must have a video baby monitor! Saves all the sneaking into the room
As I'm addicted to my monitor too, I would say an effective diaper cream. Either for my 2 year old or for the one on the way, having a good diaper cream helps a lot! I agree on the comments about a good diaper bag, I just find they're never big enough…I carry/need too much stuff!
Lena- I loved your list…forwarding it to all the mamas I know:) I don't have a baby of my own, but I think one essential thing for all mamas is to have a friend/sister/girlfriend/mom/mil etc. who can babysit so mom & dad can go on a date! :) For an extra entry- I'm a blog follower also!xoLotus
My must haves are:nipple cream for breastfeeding mamas and reusable cloth breast pasds..so comfy a good, heavy duty stroller..don't skimpexcellent brasnack cups where the lid stays on
I follow via google firstname.lastname@example.org
Love your list Lena! I'm happy to say I have everything on it, except the wipe warmer, just because I heard so many mixed reviews about it, but I might go grab one now!since I won't be a mommy for a few more weeks, I can't be sure what my must have will be..but right now I think it has to be the reclining glider and ottoman, soooo comfortable!
For my extra entry I am a blog follower
My must have would be a good swing just to mimic the same sort of movement especially for a colicky baby!
my must have was my swing!
follow with GFC
Haven't hadthe babe yet (another month and a half to go) buy in the planning my favourite item is my compact fisher price high chair that fits on any chair in my house. After having my neice I soon learned our kithen is not big enough for standard high chairs. This one is a lifesaver!
I would have to say with Twins the SWING was a life saver and I would recommend new moms to not be without! BF moms..need a dual pump and a comfy chair to pump in!and for the third item…takeout!
Follow on GFC
Our must have…..chocolate…for when baby finally goes to bed and I can have a "me" moment!tuckersmith32 at yahoo dot com
I'm a follower!tuckersmith32 at yahoo dot com