There’s no denying that this winter has been one of the coldest in recent memory. With the wind chill making it feel like – gasp – almost -30°C on a daily basis, it’s no wonder that so many women are seeking a solution for their dry skin woes. And, with another blast of artic weather just around the corner, the time to implement preventative and restorative measures is now.
So, what can you do to ensure your skin is looking and feeling its best? Here are my top tips for counteracting the cold:
1. Check the humidity levels in your home. It’s recommended that relative humidity in your home be between 30-40% during cold winter months. Any higher, you may experience condensation and mould on windows, and any lower may lead to dry skin, irritated sinuses and itchy eyes.
2. Increase your intake of Omega-3 fats. Don’t worry, Omega-3’s are the good fats! They help to normalize the lipids in your skin and prevent dehydration in your cells. Omega-3’s can also help calm irritated skin, especially rosacea-prone cheeks that are triggered by cold winds.
3. Drink water to prevent dehydration. My doctor once told me that if I’m thirsty, I’m already dehydrated! The trick is to stay ahead of your thirst. Most health professionals recommend that adults drink two liters of water per day. However, during the winter, and depending on your caffeine consumption, you may want to increase your intake.
4. Skip the hot shower. It’s tempting to take a long, steamy shower, especially when it’s chilly outside. But nothing dries out skin faster than hot water. Opt for lukewarm showers, or, if you’re a diehard hot shower enthusiast (guilty!), then drastically reduce the time you spend in the shower and moisturize immediately after.
5. Use a super hydrating moisturizer. A daily facial moisturizer, such as NeoStrata AquaYouth Filling Anti-Wrinkle Cream, is specially formulated to deliver serious hydration and visible skin plumping benefits. The dermatologist-tested formula features a powerful synergistic hydration system, combining 0.2% of pure hyaluronic acid with two hyaluronic acid derivatives, to fill wrinkles and intensely hydrate while restoring the skin’s barrier function.
NeoStrata AquaYouth Filling Anti-Wrinkle Cream is clinically proven to deliver visible results after just two weeks of use; the formula is non-comedogenic, non-irritating and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
Paired with AquaYouth Filling Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream, it’s an effective defense against cold, dry weather and for those looking for a solution to fine lines, wrinkles and/or dehydrated skin.
Do you battle dry, flaky skin, especially during winter months? For most, a little preventative care goes a long way to preserve the health and vitality of your skin. What are your tips for solving winter dry skin woes?
This post is sponsored by the distributor of NeoStrata. The opinions on this blog are my own.