NOTE: The following giveaway is open to Canadians only.
Happy New Year, friends! It’s that honeymoon period – we’re still basking in the afterglow of the holidays… but haven’t yet received our December credit card statement.
Oh yeah, all that holiday spending. Shudder.
Now, if you read my previous post Holiday Shopping? Here’s How NOT to Blow Your Budget! and took my advice, congratulations! You’re in the clear. However, we’re all human and mistakes do happen – even when that mistake is a pair of Louboutin peep toe pumps. (Which happened to a friend, obviously.)
I have good news. It’s the beginning of a new year, which means another chance to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. Today, I’m sharing three of my best tips for staying on budget – and guess what? You *don’t* have to cut up your credit cards to do it!
1. Shop online for groceries. No, really. With so many companies offering grocery pickup service, it’s time to try it out. Here’s why.
First, you’re less likely to impulse shop and stick to your grocery list, especially if you utilize the website’s “search” function vs. the “browse” function. Not being swayed by fad products or add-ons (which are bad for your wallet and your waistline) is a great way to stick to your weekly grocery budget.
Second, when you shop for groceries online, the total amount is tallied in real time vs. at the end of the checkout process, so you’ll always keep on top of how much you’re spending. And when you use a prepaid card, like a prepaid Mastercard, American Express or Visa, you’ll add another level of budget-staying prowess – you can conveniently use prepaid cards online while accessing a set amount of funds.
2. Use prepaid cards to set spending budgets throughout the year. The holidays aren’t the only time Canadians overspend. Think about it: vacation spending, back-to-school shopping, birthday celebrations, etc. – there are many times throughout the year where it’s possible to blow your budget. Purchasing a prepaid card and assigning it to an expense allows you to control the amount of spending.
(To those who say, “I want to collect points with my credit card!” No problem – simply buy a prepaid card with your credit card! YES! All the rewards, zero chances to overspend.)
Why else should you love prepaid cards?
a) Funds are universally accepted. You can make purchases anywhere in the world where MasterCard, American Express and Visa are accepted, including online and over the phone.
b) You are protected. Prepaid cards issued by card networks can protect consumers by the Zero Liability protections of the card brand. Make sure to read the terms and register your card!
c) They make the perfect gift. Which takes me to point #3….
3. Gift the gift of prepaid cards. Not only is it the single most effective way to stay on budget, the 2016 Annual “What Canadians Really Want: Holiday Gift Trends” survey revealed that Mastercard, American Express and Visa prepaid cards were a top gift for the second year in a row. In fact:
– 37% of Canadians indicated that a prepaid card is the TOP gift
– 63% of Canadians want to receive prepaid cards so they can get exactly what they want
– 67% prefer giving gift cards to cash because the recipient is more likely to spend it on something special for themselves
– 68% of Canadians prefer to receive a prepaid Mastercard, American Express or Visa over a retail store gift card
The numbers don’t lie! Make 2017 the year you stay on budget with finesse and be a champion gift giver – by giving your family and friends the gift of a prepaid card!
To learn more about prepaid cards, visit cppo.ca. You can find them at your favourite supermarket, drugstore or big box retailer.
Or – you could WIN one right here! Here’s a little help to stay on buget in 2017– courtesy of my friends at CPPO, I’m giving away a $250 Prepaid Mastercard! To enter, simply fill the form below with your qualifying entries. Good luck!