Note: The following giveaway is open to Canadians only.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year… as long as you’re not feeling guilty about overspending!
Okay, let’s get real for a sec. How many of y’all set your holiday shopping budget according to how much you *want* to spend vs. how much you truly believe you’ll need to spend? It’s a mistake many Canadians make (intentional or not), and it’s the easiest way to blow your budget this festive season.
Not on my watch!
I’m happy to share with you my very best tips for 1) creating a reasonable budget, 2) accounting for everyone you’ll need to shop for, 3) monitoring your spending in an easy and convenient way and 4) even sourcing the best “emergency” gift! Watch my recent segment from What She Said below:
It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of prepaid cards, such as Mastercard, American Express and Visa. Not only do they offer many of the benefits of a traditional credit card (YES – you can use them online and over the phone!), they come with a distinct advantage for budgeting: a set amount of funds pre-loaded onto the card. That means when the funds are depleted, you holiday shopping spree is over – which assures you’ll never go over budget!
Why else should you love prepaid cards?
1. Funds are universally acceptable. You can make purchases anywhere in the world where MasterCard, American Express and Visa are accepted, including online and over the phone.
2. Funds are immediately available. There is no waiting for a cheque to arrive in the mail or clear the banks! Just purchase a prepaid card and start your holiday spending!
3. Avoid costly overdraft and interest charges. Funds are pre-paid so you can control your budget and avoid interest charges and overdraft fees. No one wants to have spender’s remorse come January!
4. You are protected. Prepaid cards issued by card networks can protect consumers by the Zero Liability protections of the card brand. Make sure to read the terms and register your card!
5. They make the perfect gift. Whether you use them as a budgeting tool or purchase them a Christmas gift, they offer convenience and are an easy way to pay in person, online or over the phone.
I’ve used prepaid cards in the past to budget for groceries and vacation spending, but this is the first year I’ve used them to keep track of my holiday spending. Great news, friends! I’m happy to say that so far, I’ve stayed well within my budget, and because I am using a prepaid card, I know I won’t go over. Sweet success!
To learn more about prepaid cards, visit cppo.ca. You can find them at your favourite supermarket, drugstore or big box retailer. Or – you could WIN one right here! Here’s a little help to recoup some of your holiday spending – courtesy of my friends at CPPO, I’m giving away a $250 Prepaid American Express Card! To enter, simply fill the form below with your qualifying entries. Good luck!