My boys are at an age where they’re starting to develop self-awareness. This means that their hair must be styled a certain way (“More pomade, Mom!”), there are taboo clothing choices (cords?) and of course, they have their preferences when it comes to back to school style.
Thank goodness for Walmart. They have everything I need for back to school, including a wide selection of quality fashion for boys at affordable prices. From preppy shirts to hoodies for layering; popular graphic tees to on-trend stylish denim, back to school shopping for outfits is such a breeze.
It’s always a good time when I visit the boys’ apparel section at my local Walmart. It’s my first stop to pick up graphic tees and track pants – cool comfortable clothing is in high demand when you’ve got two active boys. However, I’ll admit that Walmart isn’t normally my go-to for back to school, simply because I’ve always thought of their selection as “play time” vs “preppy.”
Ladies, I’ve seen the light. I’ve also seen on-trend slim stretch denim for just $11.97. Hello, Walmart – I think this is the start of a beautiful back-to-school friendship!
The boys’ section at my local Walmart is fully stocked with back to school fashion. In writing this post, I considered the best way to share all the amazing items (and prices!) I discovered. And since you know how much I love lists, here we go – introducing my Top 5 School Looks for Less!
1. Prep School: I absolutely adore George long-sleeved shirts for boys. From plaid prints to bold solids, it’s easy to find the perfect top for the first day of school, picture day or any other occasion that requires a little something extra. The fabric feels great and has just the right weight; it’s cool enough for warm fall days and layers perfectly under sweaters to take the boys into colder months.
The best part? George Boys’ Long Sleeved Poplin Shirts and George Boys’ Long Sleeved Denim Shirts are just $12.97, and available in-store or online! Both styles are 100% cotton and machine washable.
2. Trendy Denim: Okay, who knew Walmart had such an amazing selection of denim? From standard boot cut to the trendy slim stretch fits, I found about four to five different styles in a variety of different washes. I had a great time finding just the right combinations for the boys!
Since both my boys are on the slender side, they love wearing slim and skinny fit jeans. George Boys’ Skinny Fit Jeans were my first choice in both dove grey and light blue stonewash. I was so preoccupied with the amazing styling that I did a double-take when I saw the price – just $11.97!
Now, you may be thinking, okay… great jeans, great price. So what?
That’s not all, folks. George clothing for kids comes with a quality guarantee:
“We know kids can be tough on clothes. That’s why Walmart guarantees you’ll be satisfied with our children’s clothing (sizes 0 to 16). We guarantee that our children’s clothing won’t wear out before your child outgrows them. If the item does wear out, simply return it with your original receipt to any Walmart Canada store and we’ll replace it with an identical item of the same size. If the identical item is not available in that size, we’ll substitute a similar item of equal size and price.”
Sold! Did I say this was the start of a beautiful back-to-school friendship? I think I need to elevate the status to year-round BFFs.
3. Groovy Graphics: It’s no surprise that my sons’ wardrobes are about 50% graphic tees. Graphic tees allow kids to express their interests and quirkiness without saying a word. And at Walmart, the most popular tees are just $7.97.
I spy BB-8 from Star Wars and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Of course The Secret Life of Pets characters are representing, and whoa – is that Super Mario? My boys have been wearing graphic tees from Walmart since birth! I don’t think they’ll ever stop.
4. Keep on Trackin’: I have a little secret. $6 track pants for boys. They’re lightweight, come in a variety of colours and are the most comfortable pants ever. Both my boys love to change into their track pants for play time and even use them as sleepwear. At just $6 each? You. Can’t. Go. Wrong.
Athletic Works Boys’ Athletic Mesh Pants have a breathable material and an elastic tie-up waist. They hold up extremely well in the wash (20 washes in and they still look like new!) and are perfect for phys ed days. Now that I’ve spilled the beans, go out and grab a pair (or six) before they’re gone.
5. Clearly, Clearance: It’s the way to go, especially now that stock is turning over! I grabbed ten t-shirts in one size larger for next summer – grand total, just $30! If you’re looking for bargains on remaining summer merchandise (which really, can be worn right up until October, making it perfect for back to school), now’s the time to pop into your local Walmart.
Well, there you have it – my Top 5 School Looks for Less. Of course, while shopping is my most favourite thing to do, dressing the kids and taking photos is a close second!
Ryder is wearing George Boys’ Long Sleeved Poplin Shirt and George Boys’ Slim Fit Jeans.
I cuffed the sleeves for a more casual look, and I’ve already bookmarked this outfit for picture day. It’s such a handsome look!
Of course, I’m true to the boys and their style preferences: I had to style them in graphic tees and jeans as well. Now consider this: both outfits below are just $19.94 before taxes! That’s right – a complete outfit for under $20. Incredible!
Ryder is wearing The Secret Life of Pets Tee Shirt and George Boys’ Skinny Fit Jeans.
Ryder looks (and feels) much more at home when he’s dressed down in jeans and a tee. I actually picked up four graphic tees for him, so he’ll have to decide which one he likes best.
So, what do you think? Frankly, I’m officially Walmart’s newest fan for back to school fashion. Superb quality, incredible prices and a kid-proof guarantee? Don’t try to stop me – I’m off to find more school looks for less. You should do the same and soon!
This post is sponsored by Walmart Canada as part of the First Day of School Fashion Challenge program. In exchange for this review, I have received special perks in the form of products and/or compensation. All opinions on this blog are my own.