Until now, all of my “Travel Tips” and “What to Pack” posts have focused on what to take on vacation. You know, the must-haves for mom, families and children alike. However, it occurred to me this morning that often, we needlessly complicate the process. Packing cubes! Reminder notes! To-do lists! We know how to keep on top of the things we need to take, but what can we leave at home?
Today, I’m pleased to share tips for things you can absolutely, positively, totally leave home without.
(Sounds like your kind of list? Me too!)
1. Your Life Story. Take a peek at your wallet. If you’re travelling with your Social Insurance Card, every credit card and store card you own, your membership cards, frequent customer cards and more, you’re travelling with too much damned access to your entire life story. Edit, friends! In the unfortunate event that your wallet is misplaced (or stolen), you don’t want to add identity theft to your list of troubles.
2. Emergency Clothes. What the heck are “emergency clothes?” Pack a minimal number of mix-and-match outfits that you can wear at least once for a 3-4 day vacation, twice for a 7-day vacation. Leave busy, memorable patterns at home and opt for pieces that complement a variety of styles and colours. My best tip: denim is extremely heavy! If you must wear jeans, take one pair and wear them on the airplane.
3. Stress. It’s VA-CA-TION, amigos! You can totally leave stress at home. Whether you’re ready or not, you’re on borrowed time now – time to unwind, relax, take a break, take a nap. Remember, your vacation will only be as rewarding as you make it! My proactive technique is to turn on my “out of office” alert a full day before I leave, so I won’t be tempted to put out fires when I should be slipping into vacation mode.
4. Full-Sized Toiletries. Okay, we know it’s a no-no to bring full-sized bottles of shampoo and cleanser. But it’s not always easy to find clear, travel-sized plastic bottles – especially last minute, when you need them! That’s why I always save small hand sanitizer bottles; I rinse and re-purpose them for travel. Think about it: they’ve been storing an alcohol-based product so they’re already quite sterile, and they’re the perfect size for carry-on travel, too.
5. Arranging a Travel Pack for Mobile. Still purchasing a travel pack before you leave? You *need* to roam like home! With Rogers Roam Like Home, you can search, share and connect just like you do at home when you use Roam Like Home with your Share Everything plan. It’s true! You can get unlimited calling and messaging to Canadian numbers and to local numbers in the destination you’re visiting, plus you’ll use data from your Share Everything plan. In the U.S., it’s only $5/day, and now you can roam for just $10/day to Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, South and Central America, Asia, South Africa, Oceania and the Middle East!
The best part? Text travel to 222 to enroll once in Roam Like Home, and you’ll be automatically covered for each successive trip. Nothing to arrange. Just leave. Just go.
I hope you’ve found my list of things you can (totally) leave home without, helpful! Did I miss something? What would you add?