NOTE: The following giveaway is open to Canadians only.
Melted. Grated. Crumbled. Baked. No matter what you do with cheese, it makes everything taste better. In fact, I will literally take cheese any way I can get it.
A toasted bagel slathered with Philadelphia Cream Cheese to start my day. A warm bowl of spicy chili topped with shredded Cracker Barrel Cheddar Cheese for lunch. And at dinner, a hearty grilled burger with – what else? – Kraft Singles Processed Cheese.
You could say I Cheese the Day.
Case in Point: Recipe for this addictive Cheesy Nacho Bake coming up.
Are you a fellow cheese enthusiast? Kraft Heinz has teamed up with Loblaws to encourage families to Cheese the Day, which means having fun with cheese in new and unexpected ways!
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Get out to your local Loblaws store and pick up your favourite Kraft Heinz cheese products. We always have Cracker Barrel Shredded Cheese, Philadelphia Cream Cheese Product, Kraft Dinner Macaroni & Cheese, Kraft Singles Process Cheese Product and Cracker Barrel Snacking Cheese on hand. For the Cheesy Nacho Bake, be sure to grab a bag of Cracker Barrel Shredded Tex Mex Cheese.
2. Every day from September 24 – October 15, CheeseTheDay.ca will feature a new daily recipe with Kraft Heinz cheese! There will be a total of 23 great new recipes, for everything from dinners to after school snacks to desserts and more.
3. To make it super easy to keep track of everything, you can sign up to sync the recipes to your online calendar (Outlook, Google calendar, etc.) to automatically get a delicious recipe daily. Syncing your calendar will provide daily recipe inspiration and the option to download/print recipes to keep for later.
So, how will you Cheese the Day? Here’s a teaser of some of the featured recipes:
Mexican Stuffed Peppers (Hello! One of my favourite foods!)
Strawberry Dream Squares (Turn ‘TGIF’ into ‘Thank God it’s Fruity’!)
Favourite Meatloaf (It’s a favourite chez Lena, and a must-try recipe!)
Zesty 100 Yard Sliders (Score an easy touchdown with these Zesty snacks!)
Easy OREO Cheesecake (Excuse me, I just fainted. OMG.)
And of course, this Cheesy Nacho Bake!
You can find the original recipe here, which includes green pepper and sour cream. However, I tweaked the recipe to suit the tastes of my family, and you can find it below!
1 lb. (450 g) lean ground beef
1 can (540 mL) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (341 mL) whole kernel corn, drained
1 pkg. (35 g) taco seasoning mix
1 bag restaurant-style tortilla chips
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced into thin rounds
1-1/2 cups Cracker Barrel Shredded Tex Mex Cheese
Heat oven to 350°F.
Brown meat in large skillet; drain. Return meat to skillet. Add tomatoes, corn and seasoning mix; stir. Cook 10 min., stirring occasionally.
Place half the chips in 13×9-inch baking dish; cover with layers of half each of the meat mixture and cheese. Repeat layers. Top with sliced jalapeno.
Bake 20 min. or until heated through.
The result: a hearty, cheesy, oh-so-good Tex-Mex inspired snack – or meal! – your whole family will love. Hand on heart, we fought over the leftovers!
Here’s how I tweaked the original recipe:
1. I substituted lean ground beef for extra-lean ground beef, and used restaurant–style tortilla chips instead of baked tortilla chips. I’m a huge believer that if you’re going to indulge, you might as well indulge all the way! However, lower fat options do exist, as per the original recipe.
2. We’re not really fans of sour cream, so I omitted that ingredient. I also swapped thinly sliced jalapeno for green pepper to give it an extra kick. Finally, the original recipe calls for 1/4 cup of water, but I found that the undrained diced tomatoes offered enough liquid, and any more may have made the beef mixture “soupy”. Hence, I skipped adding the water.
3. The Cracker Barrel Shredded Tex Mex Cheese, with Queso, Quesadilla, Pizza Mozzarella, Cheddar and Monterey Jack, provides the perfect balance of flavours for this dish. However, while at Loblaws, I also spotted Cracker Barrel Habanero Heat, which I’m tempted to try next time!
Changing up your meal routine doesn’t have to mean spending endless hours in the kitchen or going over budget. With CheeseTheDay.ca, mix things up to make fresh and exciting meals that will keep you at your cheesiest.
Love what you see? Cheese the Day – Enter to win a $100 Loblaws Gift Card! Simply fill the form below with your qualifying entries. Good luck all!