I’m pretty sure – in fact, I’m almost 100% certain – that in a past life, I was a Texan.
Now before you laugh and say, “Sure, Lena!”…. think about it: I love big hair. In fact, I keenly subscribe to the notion the higher the hair, the closer to God. Next, I say “y’all” at least once every day, and according to a search of my entire site, y’all appears in 286 blog posts.
I’m not making this up. Hand on heart, y’all.
Finally, I’ve been known to whip out my “Real Girls Eat Meat” t-shirt over the summer months, even though I’ve been ridiculed by my vegetarian friends. And to them, I say relax! Eat a burger.
Therefore, it’s obvious to me that a) I’ve either lived as a Texan in a previous lifetime, or b) I am a Texan at heart, and am long overdue for a vacation to the Lone Star State.
(Also? I’ve always had a thing for cowboys. Yee-haw!)
So, what’s the big deal about Texas? Well, aside from world-class events, authentic country music, countless attractions and outdoor fun, I think everyone needs to experience their famous Southern Hospitality! And for Canadians seeking a winter escape, breath-taking beaches, award-winning cuisine or a family adventure, Texas truly is an ideal destination.
Your Texas Cheat Sheet:
– Texas is divided into 7 geographic regions with widely different landscapes such as beaches, forests, rolling hills and canyons. So, whether you’re an adventure traveller or a sun seeker, they’ve got you covered.
– The state boasts over 600 miles of coastline and fabulous beaches (and, is home to the longest undeveloped barrier island in the world). Pack your swimsuit!
– Texas is a great place to get active by hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, fishing and more. In fact, for outdoor enthusiasts, Texas is often at the top of travel bucket lists. From the awe-inspiring Palo Duro Canyon, to natural wonders like Enchanted Rock and Natural Bridge Caverns, you’ll find landscapes begging to be explored.
– There’s plenty in Texas to keep everyone in the family entertained. Check out the various amusement and water parks, museums specific to kids and adults and much more. The State Fair of Texas is definitely something to check out as well.
– Bring your appetite! In Texas, there’s flavour for every type of palate. If you’re searching for awesome food and big time flavour, Texas is the place to be. Throughout Texas, you can satisfy your taste buds with award-winning BBQ, tasty Tex-Mex dishes, seafood and the best chilli in the country! There are also many five-star restaurants to choose from, top-of-the-line chefs and undiscovered food joints wherever you go.
– Where to go for great Western wear? Shoot, that’s pretty obvious! If you’ve got a hankering for Western fashion, Texas is the ultimate authority on cowboy-inspired couture.
If I’ve piqued your curiosity, The Travel Tex website makes planning your trip easy through their interactive passport which allows you to customize your trip. You can also download the FREE Texas Travel Guide and sign up for the E-Newsletter for easy trip planning.
Love what you see? Do my photos represent your ideal vacation in Texas? Vote for my Texas Roundup photos below to help me win a trip for 2 to the Lone Star State! By voting for me, you will be entered for a chance to win a $1,000 cash prize. (That’s a win-win, y’all!)
Only 1 vote allowed per day; contest ends March 24, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST, open to Canadian residents only (excluding Quebec). See full contest terms and conditions below.
Although this post has been generously sponsored by Texas Tourism, the opinions and language are my own, and in no way do they reflect Texas Tourism.