Some people vie for the best car. Others, the best lawn or garden. And for a long time, in a room full of strangers, I needed to have the most frivolous designer handbag. (It’s okay, you can roll your eyes at me.) And my husband? Well, it’s simple – he needs to be the best grill master ever. Honestly! He’s constantly comparing his barbecuing expertise with every person he meets. And – shhh – he judges people based on theirs. I know he does.
You could say that he’s the perfect candidate for a Grille-Off! Introducing the Club House La Grille Spice Challenge. Throughout the summer, eight celebrity chefs from across Canada will compete in four culinary duels to determine the BEST barbecue recipes using Club House products.
What’s in it for you? Well, besides the opportunity discover new and delicious recipes that you can steal for your own backyard barbecues, if you vote for your favourite Great Canadian Grille-Off recipes, you’ll have the chance to win a $500 pre-paid credit card! And, you’ll also be automatically entered to win the grand prize: a sizzling summer grilling party hosted by a celebrity chef for you and five lucky friends. PLUS, you’ll get a $2,000 pre-paid credit card to put towards the grill of your dreams!
This week, we’ve got two amazing Toronto chefs going head to head; Chef Joanna Tymkiw debuts her Crispy Thai Tacos using Roasted Garlic and Peppers Rub Marinade, while Chef Rocco Agostino presents his Montreal Rubbed Flank Steak Speducci featuring Montreal Steak Spice Rub Marinade. And great news! I just happen to have a copy of their recipes to share with you!
Chef Joanna: “Toronto has a colourful blend of ethnicities and cultures which is celebrated throughout my cuisine. The city offers the newest fusion food creations which you’ll find anywhere, from renowned restaurants to foodie favoured food trucks. I believe a recipe featuring warm weather fare like tacos with the refreshing yet satisfying elements of Thai cuisine is sure to be a hit with home cooks.”
Sticky Pork Thai Tacos with Mango Salsa
Preparation Time: 25 mins; Cook Time: 10 mins; Portion: Serves 4
• 8-12 Small tortillas
• 2 avocados, sliced
• 2 limes, cut into wedges
• Red Thai peppers or green jalapenos, chopped
• ½ cabbage, thinly sliced
• 2 mangoes, skin and pit removed
• ½ red onion, roughly chopped
• Juice of 2 limes
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 1 handful of cilantro leaves
• ½ tsp (2ml) of salt
• 6 tbsp (90ml) Club House La Grille Roasted Garlic & Peppers Rub Marinade
• 2 tbsp (30ml) liquid honey
• 1 lbs. (450 grams) boneless, thinly cut pork loin chops
• ¼ cup (59ml) corn starch
• Club House Sea Salt and Club House Black Pepper to taste
1. Prepare all of the topping ingredients. Set aside on individual plates so people can top tacos however they like.
2. Combine all mango salsa ingredients in food processor. Pulse a few times until roughly chopped. Set aside.
3. In large bowl, whisk together Club House La Grille Roasted Garlic & Peppers Rub Marinade and honey.
4. In large frying pan, add 1 cm of vegetable oil. Heat on medium/high heat.
5. Slice pork into long, thin slices.
6. Add to bowl with corn starch and a generous pinch of salt and pepper Club House Sea Salt Grinder and Club House Black Pepper Grinder. Toss to coat.
7. Once oil is hot, add half of the pork. Fry until lightly golden and pork is cooked through.
8. Using slotted spoon, remove cooked pork and add to paper towel-lined plate.
9. Cook remaining pork. Once all pork is cooked, add to bowl of glaze and stir to coat.
10. Use to top tortillas along with mango salsa, avocado, lime juice, hot peppers and cabbage.
Chef Rocco: “For my summertime BBQ appetizer, I chose Club House La Grille Montreal Steak Spice 30 Minute Marinade. I wanted to build on a classic Italian favourite. Inspired by the culture’s simple approach to cooking, this dish uses few ingredients but delivers bold flavour, making it great for any occasion.”
Montreal Steak Spice Flank Steak Speducci (Skewers)
Prep Time: 20min; Cooking: 10 min; Portion: Makes 3 Speducci (Skewers)
• 150 grams (5.2 ounce) flank steak, sliced into ½” cubes
• 60 grams (1.2 ounce) day-old bread (baguette style, cut into ½”cubes
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) Club House La Grille Montreal Steak Spice 30 Minute Marinade
• 1 tbsp parsley (15ml) + 1 teaspoon, (5 ml) chopped
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil + 1 teaspoon (5 ml)
• 1½ tbsp (22ml) squeezed lemon juice
• 1 tsp (5ml) Bomba (Italian condiment)
• ½ tsp of salt
1. Soak the 5-inch skewers in water for 20 mins.
2. Turn on grill to a medium or medium/high heat.
3. In a bowl, mix all ingredients, except the flank steak and day-old bread, with a whisk to bring mixture together.
4. Add the flank steak in the marinade and let stand for 20 minutes
5. Skewer the marinated meat and bread, alternating between the two ingredients.
6. Once the BBQ is up to temperature, lightly grease the grill to keep the skewers from sticking.
7. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
8. When the skewers are done, remove from the grill and place on a plate.
9. Garnish the skewers with 1 teaspoon of the chopped parsley and drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil over Speducci.
10. Enjoy this summer favorite!
They both sound so scrumptious, I’m not sure I can choose a winner! So, I asked my husband, el grill master extraordinaire, to take a peek – and he thinks that Chef Joanna has the edge :) For your chance to win, don’t forget to cast your vote!
I’d love it if you could share your summer grilling stories with me this weekend! Tweet @Listen2Lena using the hashtag #FlavourStory.