Note: This Giveaway is now CLOSED.
The first time I blogged about Visaperks.ca was back in July 2009 (view the lil’ old post here). Yes, it’s safe to say I’ve had a love affair with the site for some time. Habitual Visa-slinging shoppers such as myself will appreciate the perks that come with being a patron; the discounts are often an unexpected, sweet incentive. For example, did you know that until December 24th 2011, you can receive 25% off your entire purchase at GAP when you use your Visa (or Prepaid Visa) and present this coupon? Insane, I know!
You can make your own sale with Visaperks. (Quite dangerous for shopaholics like me, actually.)
This season, our good friends at Visa Canada commissioned an Ipsos Reid survey monitoring the holiday shopping habits of Canadians.
Canadian Holiday Shopping Trends
• 54% of Canadians have made an online purchase in the last 12 months.
• 51% of Canadians said that they are more likely than last year to shop online this holiday season.
• Crowds (35%), long lineups (22%) and parking lot chaos (11%) irk Canadians about holiday shopping.
• 72% of Canadians between 18-34 years old have made an online purchase in the last 12 months.
• More than half of Canadian males (53%) and females (55%) have made an online purchase in the last 12 months
And, they found out that Canadians expect to spend an average of eight (8) hours in the mall during the holiday season – the equivalent of a full day’s work.
Seriously? EIGHT hours at the mall? I don’t think I’ve spent eight hours at the mall all year.
Two words: ONLINE SHOPPING. The rationale:
1. You can shop in pajamas.
2. You can avoid lineups. (57 per cent of Canadians say it’s the worst part of shopping at the holidays.)
3. You can avoid people. (Seriously, sometimes it’s for the best.)
Of course, you’ll trade fresh air, exercise and social interaction in favour of hovering over your keyboard while sipping your third latte. But I’m not knocking it – fresh air, exercise and social interaction are so 2004. And your fingers will have enviable muscle tone.
On top of the three obvious benefits listed above, you can also take advantage of exclusive online merchant discounts for Visa cardholders. You’ll find offers on everything from fashion, beauty and accessories to electronics, travel and much, much more.
Some of the splendid savings:
– 35 per cent off select ThinkPad, ThinkCentre or Think Accessory products at lenovo online
– 20 per cent off regular-priced Parasuco merchandise online
– 20 per cent off umbra.com regular-priced online merchandise
– 15 per cent off purchases of $100 or more from Birks.com
This holiday season, I’ll be doing the majority of my Christmas shopping online (except maybe to take advantage of the GAP deal from Visaperks mentioned above). I like that I can avoid impulse purchases, score a few online-only deals, and most importantly – spend extra time with my little guys instead of elbowing strangers in holiday lineups.
One lucky Listen to Lena reader will win a $50 prepaid Visa card, courtesy of Visaperks! To enter, simply leave a comment on this post telling us about how you plan to shop this holiday season; online, in store, or a combination of the two.
You can also qualify for extra entries! Remember, you must leave a separate comment for each. You can:
(1) Follow my blog, Listen to Lena
(2) “Like” Listen to Lena! on Facebook
(3) Follow Listen to Lena on Twitter
(4) “Like” Visaperks Canada on Facebook
(5) Tweet daily about this giveaway; Please use this Visaperks Giveaway Tweet
I’ll draw for a winner on December 12th. Good luck!